Back in 1873 this area was the Greene County Poor Farm. However, by 1890 the land had became too valuable and the building was no longer able to meet the needs of the county. On February 20th. 1890 the land was sold to a group of investors for a $25,211.30 to the develop the sub-division.
At the same time the investors were working on a way to get transportation to their new sub-division. So on March 18th. 1890 they received approval from the Springfield City Council to develop the Kickapoo Transit Company streetcar line. The line later became part of the Springfield Traction Company and was know as the “The Elm Street Line.”
In May 23rd 1890 the development was officially plotted as Pickwick Place. And by August of 1890 the investors had developed the Pickwick Land Company at a value of $50,000. In 1904, the group of Investors hired William H. Johnson to market and sell the lots of Pickwick Place.
Two key factors fueled the success of Pickwick Place one, The Kickapoo Transit Co Street Car Line and two, Springfield Normal School.
Springfield Normal School was located on the land bound by Cherry, Pickwick, Monroe & Weller in Pickwick Place. On June 30th. 1893, Frank P. Mayhugh & John A. Taylor contracted with the Pickwick Land Company and built a school for $40,000.00 that was completed on October 1st. 1894.
State Normal took over the school and the old school close its doors in the fall of 1907, at which time students & faculty moved to the new building “Carrington Hall” where MSU is today. By 1916 the old school came down and the corner stone was placed in front of Carrington Hall.
The heart of Pickwick Place is Rountree School and a group of business located Cherry & Pickwick. Tea Bar & Bites is one of the oldest in El Patio Court. People love the tree line streets & sidewalks, covered front porches diversity of architecture. This is truly one of Springfield’s highly sought after older Sub-divisions. Closed to MSU, Phelps Grove Park, Rountree School, Mercy Hospital & Downtown.