The Phelps Grove Park Neighborhood has a lot to offer; charming homes of all price points, close to MSU & downtown, and one of the city's finest parks. The 31-acre park plays hosts to many of the city's charity running events. The park is rich with amenities; people go there to picnic, yoga, play tennis, or use the walking and fitness trail, the park is well utilized by the surrounding neighborhoods on a daily basis. The Springfield Art Museum is also located in the park.
Park amenities include: wading pool, rose garden, 6 lighted tennis courts, 1 baseball field, xeriscape garden, picnic tables & grills, restrooms, horseshoes, drinking fountain, children's & adolescents' play equipment, open play area, physical fitness course, open shelters
Phelps Grove Park is steeped in history! The park & neighborhood is located on land that was once owned by Governor John Phelps and his wife Mary. John & Mary acquired the land in 1839 and built their farm there. By 1876, they had acquired 1000 acres around their farm. In 1892, Mina Feuerbacher acquired part of the land for $25,000 and sold it eight years later for $54,000 to Frances Xavier Heer, President of Heers Department Store.
F.X. Heer founded the Phelps Grove Park Company in 1910. The company contacted George Kessler who was known as the Fredrick Olmstead of the West to design Phelps Grove Park Subdivision in 1911. In 1912, the company hired the most successful promoter of real estate, William H. Johnson, to market and sell the new subdivision. Mr. Johnson was responsible for having the entryways and bridges built in the English style that he used when he built the English Village in Hollister, MO.
A group of citizens pushed to convert part of the subdivision into a park. In 1914, the newly formed park board agreed, and Phelps Grove Park was born. The park board hired Hare & Hare of Kansas City to design the park.
Only the lots on what is now Clay Avenue were sold and developed. The rest of the subdivision was re-plotted and called Phelps Park Terrace after WWII.